Oxygen Therapy vs. Traditional Treatments
Respiratory illness is a common health concern, which could affect anyone, regardless of age or gender. These respiratory illnesses could range from mild, such as flu, to severe conditions like lung cancer, making it essential to seek appropriate medical attention. One of the most effective ways of treating respiratory illnesses is through oxygen therapy or traditional treatments.
In this blog, we’ll explore the differences between oxygen therapy and traditional treatments and which approach is more effective.
Oxygen Therapy as a Treatment Modality
Oxygen therapy is a treatment protocol recommended for people with severe respiratory illnesses. The therapy involves delivering concentrated oxygen through different devices. Oxygen therapy ensures patients receive optimum levels of oxygen to support respiratory healing. Oxygen therapy is considered an effective measure for addressing respiratory illnesses as it can reduce the associated morbidity and mortality.
There are different types of oxygen therapy, and each type serves a unique purpose. The common types of oxygen therapy include:
1. Oxygen Concentrators: These are electrically powered devices that can separate oxygen from the air and deliver it to the lungs.
2. Oxygen Cylinders: These are compressed oxygen tanks that provide oxygen through a regulator.
3. Oximeters: These are devices that measure oxygen levels in your blood and are used to determine the right amount of oxygen therapy for each patient.
Oxygen therapy works by increasing the oxygen levels in the body, which in return increases the patient’s breathing rate, helping their respiratory system receive sufficient oxygen. The therapy can alleviate symptoms of respiratory illnesses and improve the patient’s overall wellbeing. Oxygen therapy has the following advantages and disadvantages.
- It can improve the patient’s oxygenation levels
- Reduces the risk of intubation and mechanical ventilation
- Increases the patient’s energy levels
- Help prevent organ failure in severe respiratory illnesses
- Most oxygen therapy devices are portable, which makes them convenient for use at home
- Can cause oxygen toxicity in case of prolonged use
- It can lead to infections
- Lead to respiratory alkalosis, which could cause seizures
- Can be expensive, making it unaffordable for some patients
- It can only be administered with the right medical prescription.
Traditional Treatments for Treating Respiratory Illnesses
Traditional treatments, also known as pharmacological treatments, are the most common treatments for respiratory illnesses. These treatments primarily aim to reduce inflammation or remove the obstruction from the patient’s airways. The traditional treatments for respiratory illnesses include; bronchodilators and steroids.
Bronchodilators are drugs that relax the muscles covering the air pathways. The relaxation ensures the air pathways are kept open, helping the patient breathe effectively. On the other hand, steroid drugs inhibit inflammation in the respiratory system, reducing the chances of respiratory infections. Traditional treatments have the following advantages and disadvantages.
- These drugs are easily accessible over the counter
- They are relatively cheap, making them affordable for most patients
- Alleviate the symptoms of respiratory illnesses quickly
- Effective in mild to moderate respiratory illnesses such as asthma and bronchitis
- Prolonged use of traditional treatments can result in drug-resistance
- They can cause side effects such as tremors, throat irritation, nausea, and weight gain
- Not as effective as oxygen therapy in severe respiratory illnesses.
Comparison of Oxygen Therapy and Traditional Treatments:
Effectiveness of the Treatment:
In severe respiratory illnesses, oxygen therapy is considered the most effective form of treatment. Oxygen therapy can supply sufficient oxygen to the lungs and other organs, improving the patient’s breathing rate and overall well-being. On the other hand, traditional treatments are effective in mild to moderate respiratory illnesses such as asthma and bronchitis.
Cost of the Treatment:
In terms of cost, traditional treatments are more affordable than oxygen therapy. The cost of a single dose of bronchodilators is significantly lower than the cost of oxygen therapy devices and their accessories.
Availability of the Different Options:
Traditional treatments are widely available over the counter. Patients can buy these drugs in their nearest pharmacy store without a prescription. On the other hand, oxygen therapy devices require a medical prescription to ensure proper administration.
Side Effects of Both Treatments:
Both traditional treatments and oxygen therapy have their side effects, ranging from mild to severe. However, prolonged use of oxygen therapy can result in oxygen toxicity, while traditional treatments can cause drug resistance.
Oxygen therapy requires different devices, making it less accessible to some patients. Traditional treatments such as bronchodilators and steroids are available in different forms such as inhalers, tablets, and syrups, making them more accessible to the patients.
Both oxygen therapy and traditional treatments are effective in treating respiratory illnesses. However, the choice between oxygen therapy and traditional treatments depends on the severity of the respiratory illness, the patient’s medical history, and the cost. For severe respiratory illnesses, oxygen therapy is the most effective approach, while traditional treatments are better suited for mild to moderate respiratory illnesses. It’s essential to consult with a medical professional before deciding on a treatment approach.
For effective treatment of respiratory illnesses, oxygen therapy or traditional treatments should be administered as per the patient’s medical history, treatment plan, and health care professional’s instructions. Further, we hope that you would ensure that you get good quality products from experienced manufacturers for both oxygen therapy and traditional treatment.
Sanai Health has been manufacturing oxygen concentrators and different medical oxygen devices for hospital and home use. You can easily find an oxygen-generating device that is within your budget on our website. Do check it out for discovering your options.